Endian Firewall is an Opensource Linux Firewall based on the IPCop Linux Firewall, a very popular Opensource firewall. Endian Firewall is almost an opensource Universal threat Management (UTM) device with a Stateful firewall, VPN, Webproxy, SIP proxy for VoIP, Web Security, Content Filtering, Mail gateway and Antivirus, Anti-spyware and Anti-phishing capabilities.
The features of Endian Firewall include,
- Easy to configure and administer using web interface
- Stateful Firewall
- Routing and NAT support
- Port Forwarding
- Multiple IP Address support with IP Alias
- NTP Client and NTP Server support
- Reporting with system,network and traffic logging
- Remote Syslog server support
- IPSec VPN for site to site VPN and remote users support with Endian VPN client (Windows,MacOSX,Linux)using OpenVPN
- Webproxy supporting HTTP,FTP and DNS bypass
- Mail security for SMTP and POP3 with Antivirus,Anti-Phishing, Anti-spyware
- SPAM protection using pyzor Spam filter
- DNS bypass and Dynamic DNS support
- SIP proxy for VoIP
- Antivirus support provided by ClamAV
- Intrusion Detection using Snort
- Traffic Shapping on the Internet facing interface for QoS
- Traffic Monitoring using nTop
- DNS and DHCP server using dnsmasq
- Zone based Firewalling
- User Management with Windows Domain, LDAP, RADIUS and Samba support
Endian Firewall has a Enterprise edition and a community supported opensource edition. The Enterprise edition comes in both Appliance as well as a software edition which allows the enterprise admins to install Endian on their own hardware.
Endian Opensource free edition on the other hand is available as a ISO download and can be installed on even an old PC. Ofcourse, with multiple modules running needs may vary on the hardware. For instance, if you need to run the proxy module then the disk needs to have enough space for caching.
Installation is very straight forward, burn the ISO image on to a CD and boot with the CD-ROM and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. Once installed, browse to the http://x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the trust (green) interface. Once there, a wizard starts configuring the admin passwords, network interfaces for various zones (Orange for Wireless, Blue for DMZ, RED for Untrust or Internet facing interface like ISDN, ADSL).
Endian website has a great documentation and a good FAQ to support a good opensource firewall. For more information, documentations and download, click here for Endian Homepage.
Smoothwall is another Firewall based on IPCop.
Did you like it? please leave us your comments or feedbacks…
If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!
Great software, but i think comunity edition doesnt have hotspot, it’s true?
I would like to make a correction.
IPcop is based on smoothwall! And not the other way arround 🙂
the proof is everywhere, including the ipcop book i have purchased.
Endian Community appears to have more features than any other Open Source UTM. Pretty sure HotSpot is also included free.
No..sorry. I was wrong about that. The user guide says that HotSpot is not included in the Community Edtion.
Can anyone tell me and guide me on how to enable or install feature for hotspot in my endian? Thanks.
The HotSpot is a feature of the enterprise version only. With your router, you can enable a fully functional HotSpot (with or without receipts), to browse the web securely, wirelessly.
To enable it, click “HotSpot On”.
Here are some basic differences in the Enterprise vs. Free versions:
Enterprise (ONLY) features w/ maintenance:
* Auto Blacklist / Whitelist
* VLAN Support (802.1q)
* Group-based and time-based access control on Web Security (content filtering)
* Access to the Endian VPN client (one for Mac, Linux, and Windows)
* Endian Hotspot
* High Availability (Active/Standby)
* WAN Failover support for USB Broadband modems (all other WAN failover is included in free)
* Policy-based routing (ability to carve up traffic at a granular level)
* Live log viewer
* Endian Network
* Updates (O/S, application, etc.)
Feel free to email me if you’d like a quote for the enterprise software. It may be cheaper than you think!
Director, Business Development
How GREEN is your network?
How can I get Endian Enterprise version? Please help me.? download demo link. etc..
I don’t think Ent version demo is available for download. Please write to them.
can i update free utm software version… how to connect to internet…