Are you throwing away your old PC??? Think again!!
Smoothwall Express 3.0 [Codename: POLAR] is a free opensource linux based firewall which can installed and be up and running in just in minutes. Smoothwall Express 3.0 is licensed under GPL license.
Smoothwall Express is designed primarily for Home and Small and Medium Businesses. Smoothwall Express is easy to install and can be installed on a system as old as an Intel Pentium based computer with just 128MB memory and a 2GB hard disk on it. Smoothwall also offers a VMWare image that can be downloaded and you have a firewall ready!!!
Smoothwall Express 3.0 offers complete Internet Security out of the box. The following are the distinctive features of SmoothWall Express 3.0
- Firewall with NATing capabilities
- Intrusion Detection System using Snort IDS (No prevention)
- Web Proxy (Squid)
- SIP Proxy for VoIP
- IM Proxy for Yahoo,msn,ICQ,AIM,ICR messnger protection with swearing filter
- POP3 Proxy [Antivirus Protection using ClamAV]
- Port Forwarding
- ADSL, PPP,PPPoA,PPPoE
- Support for Dynamic DNS
- DNS Proxy Server
- DHCP server
- Network Time Server (NTP)
- NAT support
- Traffic Shaping using Quality of Service (QoS)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Console through Web Access, SSH access and remote Access.
- Jave Shell console on the WebUI
The default configuration for the network and security can all be set at the time of the installation. The default Security can be
1. Open – All outgoing connections allowed.
2. Half-Open – Select outgoing connections allowed.
3. Closed – All connections disabled.
Once installation is complete, the security settings can be fine tuned.
The installation and administration guide are very well documented. For more information and download, click here