Sometimes, there is a need to have more than one IP Addresses assigned to a PC or a Server. If you have multiple services running on a server like a webserver and a mail server and want to assign each of these services seperate IP Addresses the Multiple IP addresses will help. While this need not necessarily require to have more than one Network Interface Card (NIC) on the server.
You can add multiple IP Addresses to a single interface card. However, these IP Addresses should be in the same logical network although in different subnets.
The following procedure will just guide you how to add Multiple IP Addresses:
1. Open Control Panel and Network Connections.
2. Right-click the LAN connection and select properties.
3. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.
4. Select "Use the following IP Address" and enter the primary IP Address, Subnet mask and Gateway and the primary and secondary DNS Servers.
5. Click Advanced then Add under IP Addresses.
6. Add the IP Address and Subnet mask. Repeat the procedure if there are additional IP Addresses to be added.
7. Click Add under "Default Gateways" and add the gateway addresses.
NOTE: The system will always use the 1st available Gateway and will use the additional gateways unless the primary gateway is not reacheable.
8.Click OK then OK and then OK to save the changes.
9. To confirm the multiple IP Addresses are set, from the command prompt (Start-Run and type CMD) run the ipconfig command. You can see multiple IP addresses on one Network Interface Card.