Vuurmuur is an Opensource Firewall Manager based on iptables in Linux. Vuurmuur works with both Linux Kernel 2.4 and Linux Kernel 2.6
Vuurmuur has a simple and easy interface with a nice GUI support for simple to complex configurations. Vuurmuur allows remote administration through SSH or through the system console.
The features of Vuurmuur Firewall Manager are
- iptables knowledge not required
- Human readable rules syntax
- Ncurses GUI so no X required.
- Easy portforwarding support
- Easy NAT setup
- Secure default policy
- Remote Management through SSH and through console
- Scriptable for integration with other tools
- Produce bash firewall script
- Anti-spoofing features
- Kill unwanted connections
- Support Snort_inline using QUEUE or NFQUEUE
- Real-Time log and connection viewing with filtering support
- Traffic Volume Accounting
- Old Log search
- Audit log
- New connections and Bad packets logging
The future version in deelopment is to support Traffic Shaping with GUI which allows a Firewall Administrator to
- Limit bandwidth usage on a per rule basis
- Guaranteed minimum bandwidth on a per rule basis
- Rule prioritisation
and can be controlled on an interface basis.
The latest stable version is 0.5.73 and is available for download here
A good set of documentation is available here with generic installation procedure using install scripts and for SuSe, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and Slackware specific procedures.
For more information and configuration info, click here